History of North Terrace:
Our church comes from a rich historical association of churches called the Restoration Movement. With its beginnings starting somewhere around the year 1801 in Cane Ridge, Kentucky, the movement stresses a pattern of church life and worship that is similar to that of the original New Testament Church.
We do not hold any denominational ties to a headquarters or national leadership; however, there are many churches throughout the United States that are quite similar and hold the same practices and patterns of beliefs. These are typically called Christian Church or Church of Christ.
The original church met in the Wells Drug Store on the corner of Linden and Lee Streets in Zanesville, Ohio. Starting May 9, 1920, its members began meeting in the International Order of Odd Fellows Hall on Main Street . At that time, the church was named Central Christian Church.
On February 18, 1922 a lot was purchased at 1823 Maple Avenue for construction of a permanent building. On August 13, 1922 the church left the Odd Fellows Hall. While waiting for the construction of a frame building, they began meeting for worship and teaching in the home of H.L. Driggs at 1542 Maple Avenue, (the current location of Tee Jays Restaurant).
The first services were held in the new facility on Sunday, October 22, 1922. The church was formally dedicated, free of debt, and renamed North Terrace Church of Christ on its first anniversary, October 21, 1923. Several years later a brick structure was added onto the existing frame building.
Due to growth, in the summer of 1969 land was purchased at 1569 Bowers Lane for a future church site. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in August of 1977 and the first worship services were held on Sunday, April 15, 1978.
In 1998 the church family completed the construction of a Family Life and Worship Center, new offices, and multiple-use classrooms.
While much of our written history involves details about locations and buildings, we realize that the most important aspect of NTCOC is the impact on lives and exalting the name of Jesus Christ, which we have been faithful to and will continue to be faithful to in the years to come.